Friday, April 29, 2011

Valdese Weavers:Art one thread at the time

A visit to North Carolina is always a treat, but visiting one of the largest domestic Jacquard loom weavers plant is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I had the opportunity to visit Valdese Weaver's and oh, what an amazing place! Considering that I grew up in the textile business, I have developed a very special relationship with fabric; color combination and patterns fascinate me. I had so much fun that I carried the images in my mind for days!


So, let me walk you through so you can see just a little bit of what was there and tell me what you think:
Learning about the history of the Italian family who started the plant was very special...
 This is the first crest of the company and how it evolved over the years
It was also interesting learning about textile design, the intricacy of fiber and pattern combination, how a design and a color pick starts and the process to become a fabric...
 
 Watching the beautiful color palettes...
 Walking through the designer's offices, made me wanting to apply for a job...

 
 Sampling new designs for the next market

                                Can you see this cameo one an oval back chair?
 
Here is a designer "cooking" some good stuff...
                    And then, I walked through the plant, where everything becomes "real"
                                                               The thread dye room
Watching the looms weaving these beautiful fabrics was amazing!



In the air jet weaving looms, a jet of air is used to propel the weft yarn through the shed at  speeds of up to 600 ppm. 

                                                             Oh, these beautiful colors!
                                       Excuse my poor photography, I was in awe!

                                                                  The showroom. 
                                          80,000 SKUs, not bad ha? Can I sleep here?

                                         And the Gallery: Textiles as pieces of Art!






Is this an unbelievable eye treat or it's just me? 
Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Lucky you! What an interesting tour, I would absolutely love to see the fabric weaving process in person. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for continuing to stop by Room Rx!!!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great textiles! Very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool post! How lucky you were to be able to visit in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tour of how those fabrics are made. I love those remnants framed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing tour! Thank you for visiting and for your sweet comments! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what an amazing process. beautiful colors and patterns. <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing that must have been visiting this wonderful place.
    The beautiful textiles, patterns and colours. Thanks for showing us.

    Happy weekend
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! it's so nice to see the process, and I love all the fun colros and prints:-)

    xoxo
    Simply by Tamara Nicole Weddings

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your purr...fect comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails