Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Favorite New Book



I recently went through a presentation with the new Country Linens collection by Sanderson textiles, and oh, how fresh and beautiful! The show was accompanied by the "Essence of English Decoration" a book full of Sanderson's inspiring design ideas, new colors and modern patterns, that is now my favorite book!

The book is about the story of England’s leading manufacturer of wallpapers and decorative fabrics, illustrated with archival images and specially taken photographs. Picture the interior of the quintessential English home—whether the chintz parlor of a Victorian row house, a postwar urban flat, or the majestic blue drawing room of Buckingham Palace—and you inevitably picture Sanderson. For 150 years Sanderson has been at the vanguard of every significant movement in European decorative arts, from Arts and Crafts and Art Deco to 1980s country-house style to the vibrant interiors of the twenty-first century, shaping a distinctive style of English decoration beloved throughout the world.

Granted unprecedented access to the Sanderson archives, Mary Schoeser relates the history of the company from its founding to the present day. A preface by renowned British fashion designer Zandra Rhodes and an introduction by Whitworth curator Christine Woods celebrate the importance of the “Sanderson style” in modern British decoration and design.
With over 200 patterns specially selected from the Sanderson archives and reproduced in full color, this book is a font of inspiration for decorators, designers, graphic artists, and collectors. 300 color photographs and illustrations 


About the Author:
Mary Schoeser graduated from the University of California and has since worked as a textile curator and consultant for, among other institutions, the National Trust, English Heritage, Liberty of London, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A respected writer on textiles of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, she has contributed to numerous publications and has lectured widely. Her books include World Textiles and Sanderson: The Essence of English Decoration. She lives in England. 



I hope you love these books as much as I do...

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting book, and I love the pictures you have shown! I wanted to thank you for stopping by, and for your sweet comments... I just joined as your newest follower!!!
    Blessings~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks lovely...I may have to order it..just got the book, Romantic Style...I think you would love it..you may already own it.

    Happy Friday to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Zandra Rhodes! gorgeous pictures, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!! I will have to check this book out; it does look very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for visiting my blog the other day!! I LOVE your blog, and I'm your newest follower too!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the book review. I may have to find a copy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this book as it looks great.
    I love Sanderson linens and will have to order one.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, your blog is very beautiful! So many insprirations in every post! Bella!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your purr...fect comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails